Sign Up Login

Criminal Checking Rules For All SA’S Brought In By The Industry PACT From 1st January 2016

All casting agents are now required to check that Supporting Artists have applied for and received their own personal disclosure check if they wish to work on any film or programme commissioned by the public service broadcasters or Sky, and that involve children and young persons under the age of 18.


We advise all artists who would like to carry on (or start) working with us to apply now in advance.

Download PACT Guideline Here

What is a disclosure check? (also known as DBS or CRB)

A Basic Disclosure Certificate is a document containing impartial and confidential criminal history information held by the police that can be used to make safer recruitment decisions. The basic disclosure document will provide details of an individual's unspent criminal convictions, or state that they have none.

When did this new rule come into force?

January 1st 2016.

Why do Actors & Supporting Artists need a disclosure check?

PACT, together with the BBC, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV and Sky, are committed to safeguarding children working in our industry. As part of the background checks that producers already undertake for Production staff, crew and freelancers, the broadcasters are requiring an additional measure to protect vulnerable adults, children and young persons under the age of 18.

Broadcasters and producers are looking for the check to seek external assurance that the SAs they recruit to work on programmes or films that involve under 18s have no unspent convictions for offences contained within the Sexual Offences Act 2003. All children working on Productions are chaperoned at all times by a licensed chaperone and/or a parent/guardian. However, the DBS check will reveal if any SAs have any unspent convictions that should preclude them from working on a Production involving children, whether the children are chaperoned, or not.

Please note it is possible for young persons over the age of 16 to obtain basic disclosure checks and they will be expected to do so.

Is a Basic Check suitable for working with children?

When applying for a Basic Check, you may be informed that the Check is not suitable for roles working with children or vulnerable adults. This is because the Basic check is not suitable for chaperoning or direct physical contact with children/adults. PACT is asking SA's to be checked so that convicted sex offenders do not work on set with children, therefore this type of check is suitable for that requirement.

What do I do with this certificate when I receive it in the post?

Upload a photo or scan to your online Creative Casting Profile by clicking 'Choose File' in the 'Upload DBS' section.

Can I register my basic disclosure certificate on the Government update service?

NO. Only English Enhanced checks can be registered on the update service, therefore for the majority of SA's who apply for the basic certificate, the annual update service wont’ be available. 

Simply apply for a Basic Certificate and obtain a new one every 18 months, and that's it. Then upload to your Creative Casting Profile under 'Upload DBS'.

Carry a copy of your certificate to all Creative Casting jobs.

Carry a copy of your certificate by taking a photo on your phone or by taking the certificate or a photocopy of the certificate with you.

What information is needed to complete the application process? 

You will need to provide 3 forms of identification to confirm your name, date of birth and current address, for example, passport, driving licence, utility bill, rental agreement, mortgage or bank statement. 

You may also be asked to provide:
· Information from a utility bill at your home address
· Your home address details for the last 5 years

What is the cost of a certificate?  What information do I need to provide? How long does it take to issue a certificate?

Please note, if you already have an ENHANCED / CRB certificate through another job, PACT have stated you can choose to use it (with consent) for filming purposes if it isn't OLDER than 18 months.

The only exception to this rule if the Enhanced certificate is older than 18 months, is if it's registered on the Government Update Service. Similarly, if you obtain a new enhanced certificate in future through another employer and it is registered straight away (within 19 days) on the update service, PACT have stated that you can use this certificate for as long as it valid (with consent).

How often do I need to provide a certificate?

A new certificate will need to be provided every 18 months.  However, if within that period you are convicted of an offence under the Sexual Offences Act 2003, Creative Casting will need to be informed of this by you as they will not be able to supply your services to a production involving children. 

What is the difference between the basic disclosure check and standard and enhanced checks (commonly referred to as DBS, or formerly CRB, checks)? 

The basic disclosure check only provides details of unspent convictions. 
Individuals and the self-employed are able to apply for this certificate, whilst engagers are not able to submit an application for a basic check.

Standard and enhanced checks provide details of both unspent and spent convictions and only apply to certain job categories (e.g. teacher or healthcare professional) or where an individual carries out what is defined as a “regulated activity” with  a child or a vulnerable adult.  As SAs are neither listed within the specified job categories nor normally involved in what is described as a “regulated activity”, they are unlikely to be eligible for these checks.



Child Protection Policy

Code of Conduct

Channel 4 
Working and Filming with Under 18s guidelines



Contact us on WhatsApp 07966461799
FAQs Jobs Privacy Policy Terms
2024 © Gems Casting Ltd. T/A Creative Casting. All rights reserved. Solution: Onefuzz